Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Bologan's Ruy Lopez for Black. Content, comments (Read 32612 times)
CarriedbyGg

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Bologan's Ruy Lopez for Black. Content, comments
Reply #28 - 12/21/15 at 16:13:53
Post Tools
@RoleyPoley: I think that the Marshall is especially nice for educating players. It teaches a lot about getting the initiative, developing an attack, sacrifices, opening up the second front, and so on.. While it is true that there is a mass of theory behind it, I would say that at a lower level most players are not familiar with that. You do not have to memorize everything, but you should be familiar with some key lines and the motifs and reasoning behind these moves.

Bologan kind of opened my eyes when saying that White players avoid the Spanish Mainline not for the Zaitsev or the Chigorin, but because of the Marshall! It is one of the toughest nuts to crack out there. And if someone at your level knows about this and tries to avoid the Marshall, you can fight in a typical Spanish middlegame on equal grounds! I think it is a nice weapon for everybody.

Cannot say this for the breyer, though, because it is positionally much more complex. And you should try not to get mated Cheesy

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #27 - 12/21/15 at 14:02:30
Post Tools
I'm a little surprised at the choice of lines for black given the emphasis behind the books on educating players. These are lines that from reading the threads here are not recommended for weaker players such as myself.

Clearly the books are aimed at wide audience, including much stronger players, but does that mean someone such as myself should be looking elsewhere if i want to learn a line as black in the RL? I already have his other book.

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

CarriedbyGg

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #26 - 12/21/15 at 11:17:55
Post Tools
While it seems they abandoned their experiment with squares around a new move (and a circle for several alternatives) like they did in BBW in the Open Games, on page 317 in the last variation there is a square! It's the first I noticed, so either this is the only novelty I've seen so far or it is an editorial slip.

IP Logged

CarriedbyGg

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #25 - 12/21/15 at 10:57:38
Post Tools
I have not yet decided wether or not to like the fact that there are no "N"'s in this book. It is obvious that Bologan has written this book primarely for instructional value, so I think it is a nice idea to not mention those moves because often I don't see a particular value in doing so. I would like to hear an opinion of someone like GM Smerdon for example, about the actual theoretical contenct. Compared to some quality chess books I think that Bologan does not advance the theory of the Marshall for example two steps further, he simply presents a state-of-the-art repertoire that is suitable for everyone. I think I like this approach.

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #24 - 11/30/15 at 16:22:44
Post Tools
That is really weird. I have checked my copy and haven´t found any missing pages.

IP Logged

CarriedbyGg

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #23 - 11/30/15 at 16:17:16
Post Tools
This is very unsual. I don't have this problem.

IP Logged

Spassky fan
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #22 - 11/30/15 at 15:03:18
Post Tools

My copy of Bologan's Ruy lopez has missing pages in it.

Pages 209, 212, 213, 216, 217, 220, 221 and 224 are completely blank and there are no page numbers on those pages either.

I now have the inconvenience of returning the book (and, of course I have thrown the original packaging away) to the seller (Amazon Uk) in order to get a refund.

I have emailed the publisher (NIC) to ask whether this is a general fault in all copies of Bologan's book or whether it is just a fault in my copy.

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #21 - 11/27/15 at 16:14:37
Post Tools
CarriedbyGg wrote on 11/27/15 at 13:13:38:
@Fllg: I would really like to know where you found these mistakes...

I only looked at a few selected lines after 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Bxc6 dxc6 5.0-0 Ne7 and this is what I found:

Page 68 Line C1c: After 6.d4 exd4 7.Qxd4 Qxd4 8.Nxd4 Bd7 9.Nc3 0-0-0 10.Be3 Ng6 11.Rad1 Bb4 12.Nde2 Ne5 13.b3 b6 14.h3 f6 the line ends with 15.h5?! Nf7. 15.h5?! is obviously not possible - probably 15.f4 was intended.

Page 70 Line C1d: At the end of the line the move 26.Rg3 is impossible and should probably read 26.Rf3.

Page 71 Line C1d2: after 6.Nxe5 Qd4 7.Qh5 g6 8.Qg5 Bg7 9.Nf3 Qxe4 10.Re1 Qb4 11.b3 h6 12.Qe3 now 12...Qd6 13.Ba3 Nd5! is given. Black´s 12th move is a grave blunder and move 13 obviously against the rules because the knight is pinned. I presume 12...Be6 was meant when the given sequence works.

Nothing too serious and nothing I couldn´t work out for myself, but still such mistakes should be eliminated before printing.

IP Logged

CarriedbyGg

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #20 - 11/27/15 at 13:13:38
Post Tools
@Fllg: I would really like to know where you found these mistakes, as after your comment I checked my copy a bit and could not find any of those in the first chapter. The only slight mistake I noticed so far is on page 64, in the comments to 9. ... Re8 where at the end Bologan states "returning the pawn and retaining the initiative." It would be more appropriate to "regain" the pawn.

Anyways, I am impressed by this book and I think it is worth it's money. There is plenty of material for any Ruy Lopez connoisseur that is maybe not that much explored. For example, against the Exchange variation, he gives 5. ... Ne7 and 5. ... Be7, which I had not expected.

I will check more carefully through the Marshall lines once I have time to do that, but I would like to adress one thing that some people moaned about (see for example Reply #15): The book rightly says "how to play for a win" and I think Bologan does his best to offer enough material so that every player can chose what he wants to play. It may be true that there are some lines, especially in the Marshall, which result in equal endings. But that is the character of the opening. You can't blame 1. ... e5 that it doesn't always retain winning chances if White plays the best moves! But I came across an interesting thought while reading this comment. Some players fear the Marshall attack, most famously Kasparov. So, by reading this book and remembering how to draw those endgames is in some kind also preparing to play for a win because your opponent might play some Anti-Marshall system because he is not satisfied with such a draw! And if you really play against a lower rated player that would be loving to draw against you, you simply play the Breyer or something else.
I hope that everyone will get my point.

Anyway, I will come back and hopefully have some thing to say about the analysis! What I noticed though, is that sometimes a line stops with a comment like "with the idea of a6-a5" For me that is not a concern, as I can not demand from Bologan that he stops every line with a plan for Black, especially in the side lines, but I could imagine that some players might find that unhelpful.

What I read recently was some comment by a strong GM and apparently a friend of Bologan who said that "he overestimated his own chances 20 years ago, like he does today often, too" along those lines for sure. I hope that this does not influence his writing Wink

Any thoughts?

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #19 - 11/21/15 at 11:27:25
Post Tools
I started studying the first chapter about the Exchange and found some mistakes in form of impossible or missing moves - hope that doesn´t continue  Sad

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #18 - 11/16/15 at 13:25:00
Post Tools
How does the game Almasi-Sammalvuo fit in from ETCC, Iceland?
Sorry, my copy not here yet, and it is also not yet released on Forward Chess. Waiting...!

<iframe src="https://arena.chessdom.com/games/show/stream/121815?embed=580&ba=1" style="width:580px;height:740px;border:none;margin-top:30px;"></iframe>

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #17 - 11/16/15 at 11:31:25
Post Tools
He got brought up in the Russian system, so you really can't expect anti percentage efforts to complicate with black for the sake of it Smiley

Not that they're a good idea in general anyway. If white tries to win you'll get chances, if he doesn't - and is too good for you to grind down somehow - then why is he bothering?

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #16 - 11/16/15 at 07:37:58
Post Tools
BobbyDigital80 wrote on 11/15/15 at 22:20:55:
1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.O-O Be7 6.Re1 b5 7.Bb3 O-O 8.c3 d6 9.h3 Nb8 10.d4 Nbd7 11.c4 c6 12.Nc3 b4 13.Na4 c5 14.d5

A quick look at this position in my database, and I see no wins for White, 6 draws, and one win for Black. That's an excellent performance in my mind!
« Last Edit: 11/16/15 at 08:44:19 by JEH »  

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 11/15/15 at 22:20:55
Post Tools
I received my copy too and I must say I'm very impressed! I was intrigued by the text on the cover saying "How to Play for a Win against the Spanish Opening" but slightly disappointed at the different lines White can play to force a draw, like several lines in the Marshall.

I was looking at the chapters on the Breyer and one line that I think is annoying to face if Black wants to play for a win is 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.O-O Be7 6.Re1 b5 7.Bb3 O-O 8.c3 d6 9.h3 Nb8 10.d4 Nbd7 11.c4 c6 12.Nc3 b4 13.Na4 c5 14.d5.

Bologan gives the game Nakamura-Carlsen from 2011 and doesn't offer any way to try to make the game more interesting. He gives the moves of the game and just says that the position is too blocked to try to outplay the opponent.

I don't like the idea of White being able to play a line like this if he wants to draw. I wonder if Bologan felt it wasn't necessary to give alternatives for Black in this line because he feels a draw is acceptable...? Since the book is about how to play for a win against the Ruy Lopez, I wish more advice/lines were given to achieve that, or at least get an unclear position!

Does anyone have any thoughts/recommendations about this 11.c4 line with 14.d5? Thanks!

IP Logged

Rimfaxe
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 11/10/15 at 08:58:17
Post Tools
I received my copy last week, spend the weekend on it, mostly on part 1 with an early d3 which I meet quite often in my club. Have not looked so much on the Marshall, looker a bit on the Breyer, it looks interesting, I usually plays Chigorin, but I will probably shift to the Breyer.

The book looks fantastic, it must be "book of the year" candidate. I also have Bologans book on the non Ruy Lopez and that is also fantastic.

Much recommended. Best opening books ever! Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo